So, for several weeks, we have been watching a robin family take up residence in the tree in our backyard. They worked diligently to build a nest and we delighted in watching their progress. Several times I even had to pull down long strings from the tree when they kept trying to weave them into their nest but left them hanging where the kids would definitely pull them and possibly take the whole nest with it. Of course, the girls have named both of the birds the same name they give everything - 'Frankie-Frank'.
For several days we have been able to watch Mommy and Daddy Frankie-Frank feeding the baby - only one Baby Frankie-Frank in this nest - and it was so cute to see it's little fuzzy head peeking out and the beak open for food.
There was a huge storm this afternoon with really strong winds and in the evening I discovered that Baby Frankie-Frank had fallen out of the nest! I panicked! I ran in the house exclaiming to Alex that we must do something! I was very surprised that the bird was so frail. The eyes were still closed, no real feathers and wings and legs were so fragile. He was on the ground opening his little beak and flopping around...so sad! I swear I could feel Mommy and Daddy Frankie-Frank's panic, although they were not in sight. I admit, I was worried I would get dive-bombed. So Alex told me I should just go put him back in the nest with a shovel so we wouldn't touch it and scare the parents away. I, of course, maintained that I couldn't reach so he had to do it while I hovered in a panic below...:-) I wanted to show the girls but Alex worried that it would be too disturbing. I think that it's important for children to learn of the fragility of life as well, so we showed them. They thought it was fascinating and we all watched while Daddy Martinson carefully placed Baby Frankie-Frank back home in his nest.
All evening I kept checking the nest and finally I looked out and saw one of the parents had returned and was snuggled back on the nest...so satisfying.
I don't know why this story touched me so much. Nature must take it's course. But these robins had become part of our world; our yard was woven into their nest. Finally I remembered: UBUNTU. A word describing an African worldview "I am because you are." Desmond Tutu said, "My humanity is caught up, is inextricably bound up, in what is yours" Maybe it was that this baby and these parents were given a second chance...a new lease on life. So often I wish I could do this for people in this life and here was a chance - even if it was for backyard robins...
Every time I think of that little bird family snuggled together in their nest tonight, I smile. To think it could've gone so wrong but now it's so right again....for tonight at least. There are more storms coming...
1 comment:
Thank you for that day brightener and smile on my face - I needed it! What a sweet story! Love the name Frankie-Frank and love the idea behind Ubuntu. Thank you for sharing this! :)
Post a Comment