February 02, 2011

Awholeheapasnow

As seasoned snow going Minnesotans we were pretty skeptical of the IL "blizzard" that was so hyped.  But now that we are buried in it we are thoroughly humbled.







Pictures never do it justice but it's awesome down here!  I was released early from work yesterday am now happily blogging in my pj pants.  All schools are canceled so it should be quite a day on the sledding hills.  Yeah for snow!

Alex

p.s. a la Katie:  So I was wondering what the hype was about this storm??  I think everything shut down because we got so MUCH at once.  We got 20 inches in only about 18 hours, the largest single snowfall in Chicago since 1999, and the 3rd largest in Chicago history since 1895.  I was curious how this compared to memories I had of the MN blizzards of my childhood.  The MN Halloween blizzard of 1991 was ~20 inches in 24hrs.  Then, MN got another 8 inches over the next couple days...So we can hope for more here too!!! But I don't think we are supposed to get any more :(  So the Halloween Blizzard is still epic in my mind - but this one is a close second :)  We are choosing to be extra excited about it here - an unexpected holiday!  Took us 3 hours to shovel the driveway alone and the sides are now piled up as high as my head :-)  Going to be some fun times outside this afternoon!

3 comments:

Ben and Robyn said...

Wow! Glad you are all safe at home! Too bad it's a bit far for you to borrow our snowblower! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is kind of fun when it happens, but take it from someone who still lives in Minnesota - it gets old!

Hope the girls had fun playing in the snow - and you guys too!

Grandma M

Alex H. said...

Oh yea, I still remember the '91 blizzard on Halloween. But in Duluth we got 41"! Definitely the standard by which I measure all other blizzards. Hang in there guys...