Tonight around our dinner table:
Abbie: But Maaaaaama, I REALLY want to be a TEACHER when I grow up but I REALLY want to be a MAMA and be with my kids ALLLLL day. I just don't know HOW I will do both!!
I kid you not. Tears start to roll down the cheeks. I mentally calculate - what time is it? Is she overtired? Did she have a super busy day? Did she mention something upsetting happened today? No, No, No and No. She's just genuinely upset. Are we 30 in a (almost) 7 year old body??!!
Mama: But Abbie, you CAN do both, Honey. You can live near ME and I can help to watch your kids. They can go to daycare. You can have a spouse who stays home sometimes during the day. You can have summers off.
Abbie: No, No, No. Daycare? What's that?
Mama: (explains daycare)
Abbie: (facial grimace) No, I just really want to be with them all the time.
Mama: Well, maybe you be a teacher for a bit then take a break and have kids and then when your kids are in school all day you can go back to being a teacher while they are at school. Yes? You all can go to school together, at the same time, and then meet back up at home when school is over. (Mama trying to make this sound fun; like a great alternative and to smooth this issue over before it gets too complex! Of course, having daughters in this world...it's ALREADY too complex!)
Abbie: Yeah, that MIGHT work. (wipes tears away)
Did I seriously just have this conversation with a FIRST GRADER?!! Impeccable timing since I just read this week's issue of Newsweek and an excellent piece by a female professor who was musing over the dilemmas working mothers face; many of which I identify with even though I'm working part-time, not 60+ hours a week out of the home.
Should I start passing the Newsweeks to Abbie? Ahh. My girls. I wish I could promise this world would be an easier, more supportive and friendly place for working mothers in 30 years. Don't know...but I CAN promise to support you in your decisions and give aid as I can....
Hopefully tomorrow she will be worried about something like what the choices were for the colored paper in art ..or something....:)
Katie
1 comment:
Oh my, I'm glad I missed that drama! So sad that girls need to feel that pressure. I guess we just have to be supportive, do all we can to prepare them for life and being independent and hope they are wise enough to make the right choices in life. I have all the faith in your parenting and my granddaughters' intelligence and sweet personalities to believe they will do fine. And, hang in there Katie, it won't be that long and grandma M will be available to lend a hand to you if needed as well!
Love,
Grandma M
Post a Comment