On Saturday I ran in a 15k (10.3 mile) race through a forest preserve. I have been training for two races this summer: this 15k and a half marathon in Sept. Overall it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning! There was music, lots of fun runners, a park and food...not to mention the excitement in the air over the race! This was the first race of this distance that I have done and I liked it! You could really push it because it was a more reasonable distance - just when you were starting to really feel the burn, the race was over! We had to head over to the forest preserve early in the morning and when I went into Abbie's room at 5am to wake her to leave she was already up and she asked me, "Is it time for my race now?!!" She seemed to think she was running too...in fact, she insisted on running shoes and her warm-up suit...in the middle of July...:-) This was what I found when I came back from warming-up...I was a little worried about Daddy - such an early morning and so much excitement!
However, things quickly settled down...here is a shot of one up-and-coming runner in our family!

Oh, and can't forget the second up-and-coming runner, who really is learning so quickly! She now chases her sister and loves it. We're going to have to get her some running shoes soon!
Family shot before I pinned on the bib and headed to the start! Getting excited!!!...
Karen, a grad-school friend and collegue of Alex's as well as a Minnesotan, who is a fellow runner. I'm hoping she'll move to the 'burbs so we can be running buddies more often!

The girls and Alex were waiting by the home-stretch to the finish line. The last stretch of the race was done through a grassy field, which was very challenging turf on which to finish. Very bumpy and hard on the leg muscles - but I always like a good challenge at the end...:-)

Post-race picnic. Isabel is enjoying the bagel and fruit :-)
Just had to post this picture, as she is looking more and more like a one-year old every day! Especially now that she is walking...
Our new pool - Daddy enjoys it too. It's great for the hot summer days and we use the water from it at night to water our garden :-)
Lettuce!! Our garden has given us plenty of beans, lettuce, and tomatoes - soon the zucchini and carrots will be ready. I finally have all the lettuce I can eat - we can't keep up with it! the rabbits haven't even been helping...I guess it's salad again for dinner...:-)

Picture of the garden - we have it along the back fence.

Oh, and can't forget the second up-and-coming runner, who really is learning so quickly! She now chases her sister and loves it. We're going to have to get her some running shoes soon!
The girls and Alex were waiting by the home-stretch to the finish line. The last stretch of the race was done through a grassy field, which was very challenging turf on which to finish. Very bumpy and hard on the leg muscles - but I always like a good challenge at the end...:-)
Post-race picnic. Isabel is enjoying the bagel and fruit :-)
Picture of the garden - we have it along the back fence.
2 comments:
Sooo proud of you KT!! that's no small feat..especially considering all the "help" you had training, hehe:-)
love,
auntie ali
Good job Katie! Great running and great garden! And I love that crazy pool. Looks like Abbie and Izzy enjoy it. See you next week.
Grandma M
Post a Comment